Wednesday 12 August 2020

Looking (or not) for meteors. Cockerels crowing. Vaccination.

There were meteors last night, so someone on the radio told us. After midnight would be a good time to look out for them. The advice was to find a spot with as little light interference as possible, lie down on your back and look at the sky. There should have been several every hour. As usual we had cloud. We also had a thunderstorm and lashings of rain. So it’s a good job I wasn’t stretched out on the grass in the back garden. I saw no meteors but I did see a flash of lightning and heard some thunder. A friend of mine said he sat in his garden in Bolton in the small hours watching out for meteors and another lightning storm. He’ll be complaining next that his five year old twins don’t let him sleep!

Today was already warm at 9 o’ clock when I set off on my bike to go to the market. I must say I was glad to have the shopping in the panniers of my bike to carry home rather than walking with it all in a rucksack. The temperature had already gone up by the time I was riding home. By midday my weather app was telling me it was 28 degrees. A number of people are saying it is too hot, some of the same people who regularly go on sun-seeking holidays ... or at least did so before the pandemic came along. 

When we are in Galicia we have often noticed cockerels with no sense of time, cock-a-doodle-doo-ing at three or four in the afternoon. Crazy poultry. I read a news item about an Italian pensioner who was fined because bis cockerel kept waking the neighbours ar the crack of dawn, as cockerels are supposed to do. The police staked out his house to check that the neighbours were not just being vindictive. And lo and behold, at 4x30 am Carlino the cockerel crowed and Signor Boletti was fined €166!! Apparently there are rules that pets must be ket at a minimum distance of 10 metre from neighbouring homes, which was not the case with Carlino’s cage. Mind you, I reckon that even if he kept him 30 metre from other houses, his crowing would still have woken everyone!

The irony is that after the fowl had lives in his garden for 20 years Signor Boletti had given him away to a friend. The cockerel was just back on a visit while the new owner was on holiday! Rather an expensive favour if you ask me!

We are still waiting to see whether they decide to impose further restrictions on Oldham with the rise in Covid-19 cases here. Will pubs have to close again? We shall see.

Russia has supposedly got a Covid-19 vaccine sorted out. Much discussion is going on about testing the vaccine. Meanwhile, I read that almost 50% of people in the UK would not want not be vaccinated against Coronavirus. Fewer young people than older people want to be vaccinated, presumably buoyed up by the belief that young people are less badly affected by virus. Crazy people!

Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment