Wednesday 12 February 2020

Taking risks ... or not!

Normally on a Wednesday I get up and run to the market in Uppermill, then catch the bus back, shower and have a late breakfast. This morning, having listened to hailstorms at various points in the night I gave in to the need for sleep and stayed in bed a little longer. Eventually I climbed out, did some indoor exercises followed by my morning ablutions and organised a quick breakfast. The idea was to get on with the rest of the day.

As I left the house I spotted a milkman making a delivery at a neighbour’s house. He commented that the weather was a lot better now and that it was warming up quite nicely. Well, I suppose that if you have been up at the crack of dawn then the 10.30 temperature would be a big improvement. It still felt pretty chilly to me though.

I had already read this in the Guardian online:-

 “The Queenferry Crossing, the bridge that connects Edinburgh and Fife, remained closed on Wednesday morning resulting in commuter chaos and lengthy tailbacks on the 35-mile diversion necessary for drivers.
The £1.35bn bridge, which opened to traffic in August 2017 and had been hailed as a crossing that would remain open in all weathers, has been closed since Monday night when snow and ice fell from cables on the bridge causing damage to eight vehicles, resulting in strong criticism of the Scottish government after reports that ice sensors had not been fully installed.”

I wonder if such things will be kept in mind when Mr Johnson talks about building a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland. Will it ever come to pass? Will it have to close when Storm Whatever it-happens-to be called grows a little extra fierce?

As ever when the weather is a little extreme we have had the regulation group of people who needed to be rescued from a mountainside. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/11/ben-nevis-climbers-extremely-lucky-to-be-rescued Why do people think it’s a sensible thing to do to set off up a mountain in trainers and light jackets when howling gales are forecast.

Mind you, I suppose the same could be said of my daughter and me setting off a drive from Buckinghamshire to Manchester in the rain and wind on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment