Saturday 24 August 2019

Saturday stuff.

Sometimes Saturdays, or any day for that matter, can just turn ridiculous.

 I think it really began last night when I had decided I wanted to bake a cake. You know the thing - you have people coming to visit so you think it would be good to male a cake. So I checked that the necessary ingredients were in my cupboard. Yes and no. I wanted to check how much of various things I had in store. That was when I discovered that the battery in my digital scales was dead. I threw away the old scales long ago. Technology was beating me.

 So when I went for a run this morning I popped into the co-op to pick up various ingredients. And, despite having a list, I managed to leave half of them behind. Fortunately my game plan was taking me to Uppermill later. Firstly I could buy olives and sun dried tomatoes at the nice delicatessen. Secondly I could buy the forgotten ingredients. Thirdly I could go to the hardware shop for a battery. 

It was all going well until I remembered that I had left the expired battery on the kitchen table. In the hardware shop I explained the problem and was informed that it all depended on the number on the battery. And that is how I ended up with a selection card of appropriate-sized batteries, hoping that one of them was the right size. Two of them were! Hooray!

 Leaving the hardware shop I spotted what looked like a queue at the bus stop across the road. It was just about time for my 350 bus to come along and so I crossed over to find out what was going on. It was not a bus queue. It was a bunch of people waiting to watch the rushcart go past. The rushcart is an old tradition around here, originally to celebrate the completion of the harvest, I think. A cart is built of rushes, hence the name, a man in a silly costume sits on top and is pulled from village to village around Saddleworth. Every so often they stop and the Morrismen dance. And today they have a splendid day for it.

 Anyway, I asked one lady if she had seen the 350 bus go past yet. Sometimes people can be very vague and daft. She told me she hadn’t been watching bus numbers. Well, had any bus gone past? She didn’t know!

I asked someone else who assured me no buses had gone by in the last ten minutes. And then, lo and behold, the bus showed up a bit further down the street.

 Success.

 The cake is in the oven. The family is about to arrive. The sun is still shining!

 Saturday has improved!

No comments:

Post a Comment