Thursday 29 November 2018

The meaning of everything!

The Brexit talk continues apace. Should we do this? Or should we do that?

As bankers and economists go on and on about the possible consequences of a no-deal Brexit, I find myself wondering if there is a big conspiracy going on to persuade everyone, and especially the MPs who get to vote on it, that our Theresa’s deal must be accepted.

I have absolutely no idea what the solution to the whole mess should be.

As with the global warming problem and the prospect of British summers being about 5 degrees warmer by 2070 but all sorts of less favourable-sounding consequences coming along as well, I find myself quite glad to be at the stage of life where I won’t have to see all this mess coming about.

Having said that, I intend to be around for a good while yet. I just hope our savings and pensions give us enough to help cushion the effects of Brexit for our offspring just a little.

I came across this open letter to football associations (I think) from Eric Cantona, asking what is the meaning of life and talking about his refugee/immigrant family history and reminding us all of the need to help each other. After all, if France had not taken in refugees from the Spanish Civil War, he would almost certainly never have existed.

Towards the end of his letter he says this;-

“So, please, allow me to ask this same simple question to those who run the global game ― the footballers, the agents, the sponsors and the committees.…

What is football if it is not about freedom?

What is life if it is not about freedom?

What is the meaning of life?

I think we can all agree that we can do more for humanity.”

Within his letter is this link to information about the Mexican Suitcase exhibition, a collection of photos of the Spanish Civil War by the photographer Capa and others. Cantona found a photo of his father in that exhibition. How amazing is that? The last date given in the information is for 2017 so I don’t know if the exhibition is still travelling, suitcase in hand. It would be interesting to see it.

Meanwhile, EU citizens here still find their situation uncertain, despite assurances from Mrs May and others that all will be well. I keep hearing stories of hostile receptions at border controls, rather aggressive reminders to people travelling on identity cards that pretty soon they will no longer be able to do that. Miriam González Durántez, otherwise known as Mrs Nick Clegg, in this article expressed what a number of French, German, Spanish and Italian friends of mine have been feeling. 

Like Eric Cantona, I think we can all agree that we can do more for humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment