Friday 11 August 2017

Degrees of oddness and safety!

The world is full of odd things. On Wednesday when I went out in the morning to buy bread, the lady in the bread shop commented to me, "¡Qué frío!" It was not yet nine in the morning, the temperature gauge said 18 degrees and the day was cool, fine and clear. Not what you would call cold. As the day went on I heard a number of conversations about what an odd summer it is. Baking hot in June, cooled down in July and, according to some, chilly in August. One lady said that this is to be expected: "¡Agosto refresca!" This is apparently an old saying: August cools things down. In April, as in England, they expect rain: "En abril, aguas mil". Such sayings, wise old saws, abound!

The agua might yet prove to be a problem. Back in June I was told that the reservoirs were far from full and there hasn't really been serious rain since then, despite the moaning. Thursday's weather was back up to summer standard: predicted high of 29 in Vigo, 30 in Pontevedra and 32 in Orense. Quite cool for Orense! On the north coast of Galicia, it is cooler; Coruña can expect a high of 24 or 25. Even that seems quite nice to me!

Today, Friday, is equally hot!

In the playing room at the chess tournament yesterday they were all suffering from the heat. The wind direction must have been wrong for keeping the room cool. Outside on the other hand it was quite pleasant.

On Wednesday after Phil finished his game we opted to walk down into Pontevedra centre. It was quite a pleasant walk even though it probably took us about 45 minutes. I can't say I would fancy doing it in the opposite direction - all up hill! I considered walking down again on my own while Phil played on Thursday but then he gave me his laptop to take care of and somehow walking down with a full rucksack, even a mini one, lost its appeal. I fancied taking a look at what was going on in the centre.

This week is "Semana Grande", Pontevedra's big week, when lots of street theatre takes place. And in the evening groups of young people rampage around drinking and throwing stuff at each other! Maybe another day I will make it down to take some pictures.

At various points in the festivities there will be fireworks. Some of the organisers and helpers at the "campus" were discussing the possibility of taking the youngsters down into town on Saturday evening to watch them. It should, they reckoned, be feasible if enough organisers and helpers with cars go their act together. Then the main organiser was consulted. Brilliant idea but ... a big but ... they would need permission from all the parents of the participating youngsters if they were to take them in private cars. He would consider organising a coach!

So health and safety has raised its head here in Galicia too. Knowing the main organiser, I am not at all surprised at his response. And I was reminded of all the trips I used to organise and the forms I had to sign declaring that my students would NOT be involved in various dangerous activities. So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment