Tuesday 25 July 2017

Tourism.

For the first time in weeks there was a cruise boat in the harbour when I got up this morning. The reduction in numbers of boats calling here must be taking place after all as the newspapers said some time ago.

I must say the tourists have chosen a lovely day to call in at Vigo. Blue sky and sunshine always makes the city look better. But I can imagine some bemused reactions amongst the people who seem to regard a tour stop as a chance to go shopping. This being Galicia Day all the shops will be shut and the visitors will be thinking it must be half-day closing. As if such a thing existed these days.

The Spanish have not yet got around to thinking that shopping is the kind of leisure activity you get up to on a public holiday. They will have found better things to do with the day.

Most of the residents of our flats seem to have done that too. For a good while I was all alone at the pool once again. My own private pool! Gradually a few more people arrived but not in huge numbers. And somewhere around two the smell of woodsmoke came from the barbecue area but that too was sparsely populated.

I wonder if tourism here will be affected by Ryanair's threat to stop flying from Britain unless a reasonable Brexit deal is sorted out, which means one that favours them, I expect. They are already moaning about passengers not booking luggage into the hold when they travel.

Crafty travellers are avoiding charges by bringing more and more luggage into the cabin. Ryanair’s chief financial officer, Neil Sorahan, said the airline could review its second bag allowance as passengers were starting to “take the piss”. He said: “I’ve seen two-year-olds wheeling a bag up to the plane as people try to take advantage.”

Pardon my unreasonable attitude but I think two-year-olds have to pay for a seat. Surely they are entitled to a luggae allowance in that case!

It must be hard trying to make lots of money!

No comments:

Post a Comment