Monday 15 May 2017

Some questions!

Best story of the day: Theresa May does a live Facebook Q&A and Jeremy Corbyn submits a question! That's one way to get some debate going I suppose.

How do live Facebook Q&A sessions work? This is another bit of modern magic that I have failed to understand. If it involves "following" Theresa May, I want nothing to do with it. Of course, if it does involve "following" her, then it could be another indication of how she does not appear to want to truly connect with the electorate at large, but only with those who already love her.

Another important question of the day, apparently, is whether or not it matters that Mrs Macron is so much older than Mr Macron. If it were the other way around nobody would bat an eyelid. Besides, he is the one elected, not his good lady!

And then there is the question of why French women are on average slimmer than women of other nationalities. I was prepared to question the truth of that statement but it seems that only 14% of French adults are obese. Really? Can that be true? After all they have had MacDonald's in France for ages. I remember having a map of Paris, twenty years ago at least, showing where all the MacDo outlets were situated. I haven't been to France for a good while so I really can't give a personal observation on this.

One answer seems to be that food portions are generally smaller in France. Maybe so. Another thing is actually eating more slowly and appreciating what you eat, rather than just getting the meal over with as soon as possible. Zen and the art of eating!

I also wonder about eating on the street. I am constantly amazed at how many people are seemingly unable to walk around a city centre in the UK without constantly feeding their faces. I suspect that French ladies are too conscious of how inelegant you look if you walk along stuffing a sandwich or a sausage roll into your mouth.

Here's another question: do we manufacture anything in the UK any longer? Well, according to something I read over the weekend there are still some bits and pieces.

Wooden chairs, made by the Ercol company. Bad news for the anti-Europe folk, the company was founded in 1920 by a Tuscan joiner called Lucian Ercolani.

Teddy bears . We used to make millions of them but there is now only one of the 30 Merrythought factories remaining. But it is still making those bears, made the official 2012 Olympics bear and has a strong following in Japan. I just love the name Merrythought - straight out of the Hobbit.

Dr Martens, the boots, are still made here.

And Brompton cycles, I read, makes around 50,000 bikes (folding, I year, 80% of which are sold overseas.

 Not really an industrial base though!

No comments:

Post a Comment