Saturday 9 January 2016

Working out.

Years ago I used to go to an aerobics class. It was kind of a follow-on from a do-it-yourself fitness programme using Jane Fonda's Workout book. That book had lots of good ideas but I sent it to a charity shop a good while ago, although I still do some of the amazing Ms Fonda's exercises. 

Anyway, I signed up for an aerobics class, in the local church hall if I remember correctly. It was very good. Fun, lively, fast moving exercise to music. The accepted "uniform" was leotard and tights. In my case, that meant basic black. I was working part time, we had a couple of kids and little money to spare on fripperies. I soon discovered that this was not the case for some of the ladies in the class. 

They appeared in a different colour combination every week. Granted, some of them went to several classes and so needed a change of exercise wear while the other was in the wash. But it soon became very tiresome to hear the repeated conversation along the lines of " What a lovely leotard!" "Where did you buy that outfit?" "Don't you think (insert brand name) do really nice colours of sports wear?" Good grief! This was clothing to get hot and sweaty in! All the people in the class were women so there weren't even any men to attract! But then, some of them were also immaculately coiffed, manicured and made-up! Just a bit of feminine competition then?! 

I was reminded of this today by this item in the Guardian Weekend magazine, which is full of features about exercise and fitness. Some of the sportswear featured costs silly money. Leggings for £108! Vest tops for £68! I can just about understand the high price of running trainers; after all, your feet and legs need proper support if you are not to suffer joint problems. But the rest is just fashion nonsense. 

And it has become hard to find stuff reasonably priced, especially if you want the kind of fabric that wicks away sweat. So I tend to buy my running gear when they have a sale at the running shop in Manchester. You can usually find something to suit in the right size at a reasonable price, so long as you are not particular about colour and don't insist on everything coordinating. 

That's all!

No comments:

Post a Comment