Thursday 3 September 2015

Some surprising things.

Yesterday I saw something I have never seen before here in Vigo: an inspector on the bus! She didn't do a very thorough job, merely checked a couple of tickets and made sure that the wheelchair user was safely in his designated spot. Mind you, I don't blame her for not pushing through the sardine-like passengers. I swear that they just pack standing passengers in with no regard for maximum numbers. 

I had decided that I wanted a walk that did not involve traipsing through the streets of the city. And so I caught a bus to Samil with the intention of strolling along the beach and then walking the river route back to Castrelos, from where I would catch a bus back to the centre and meet Phil coming out of chess club. Until it reached Plaza de EspaƱa the bus, as I said, was jam-packed full. After that it quickly emptied and just a few of us remained on board through Bouzas and eventually to Samil. 


On the beach I felt distinctly overdressed in my shorts and t-shirt with almost everyone else in as skimpy a swimsuit as they could find. But I was just out for a walk, not playing dodge-that-wave or beach pingpong. 

I saw an excellent example of sand sculpture as I left the beach and headed towards the end where the River Lagares comes out. Disappointingly I had to negotiate a building site of some kind as the first stage of the river wok was closed for works of some kind. After that it was pleasant walk back towards the Balaidos football stadium and beyond to Castrelos. 

 In the Midcentury cafe later, we heard Tommy Tucker singing High-Heel Sneakers. Or maybe it was a cover version. Intrigued by the mention of what sounded like a "wig hat", I looked up the lyrics and found this: 

Put on your high-heel sneakers, lordy 
Wear your wig-hat on your head 
Put on your high-heel sneakers, child 
Wear your wig-hat on your head 
Ya know you're looking mighty fine, baby 
I'm pretty sure you're gonna knock 'em dead 

So then I had to google "wig hat", which turned out to be exactly what it sounds like: 

"It is a detachable wig that can be donned or doffed much like a hat, hence the name. They are usually in the topknot or Beehive styles= The Ronettes were rumored to use Wig Hats, sometimes spelled as one word- Wighat, like Powerhouse. A Powerhouse of rock they were! Whoa Hoa- a whoa Ho- Oh Oh !" 

So there it is! Does anyone still wear a wig-hat? I wonder. 

This morning I popped into Mercadona for some milk. At the checkout I was delayed because a gentleman was querying the price of a bottle of wine? He insisted that he should be paying less for it as it was supposed to be a reduced price. The cashier checked up for him. Yes, the price on his receipt was correct: €1. It had been €1.10 but the price had come down. 

What quality of wine do you get for €1? Do you really need to question that price? But then, I suppose that if you are buying really poor wine, you want it to be as cheap as possible! 

What is more, this did not seem to be not some wino buying rotgut. I saw the customer get into a very nice car and drive away after he left the supermarket. 

The mind boggles! It really does!

No comments:

Post a Comment