Monday 30 March 2015

More weather, election fatigue and duchesses.

Sunshine this morning when I got up. However, earlier in the morning I had looked out and seen the garden covered with snow. I know I didn't dream it because when I went out running I met my old friend Jack walking his dogs and the first thing he said to me was, "What about that snow this morning then?" So it wasn't just me. 

It was quite pleasant, therefore, running along my normal route. It remained indeed very pleasant later in the day when I walked to the supermarket and then ran for the bus home carrying two bags of shopping. It must have looked quite amusing to the bus driver as it's very hard to run in a dignified, or even sporting, fashion with bags of shopping. And it was still very pleasant when I arrived home. 

Imagine my surprise, in that case, when I went out later to put the dustbin out ready for emptying tomorrow morning and found that it was raining steadily once more. What happened to the forecast that said we were going to have fine weather over the Easter period? I shouldn't be surprised really. I have long known that we live in an unpredictable-weather zone. 

The radio news is full of the start of the general election campaign. David Cameron has been to Buckingham Palace and requested a formal dissolution of parliament. (Didn't we already know that the politicians were dissolute?) I'm already tired of hearing about it and it's only just getting started. It may be because they seem to have been talking about it for weeks already. 

So I looked for other stuff in the newspapers online and found the delightful Hadley Freeman's fashion column. People send her questions about fashion items and she gives them wry and often amusing answers. Today she was asked for her judgement on the Duchess of Cambridge's fashion-in-pregnancy. Hayley's view in the end is that her Kateness is something of a superhero to be up and about and appearing in public in a state of advanced pregnancy. Hadley doesn't seem to take into account that hundreds or thousands or even millions of women do this all the time in ordinary life. What's more, they don't as a rule have somebody on hand to take care of the toddler while they do so. 

What amazes me most, having seen a photo of Duchess Kate in her polka dot maternity dress, is the fact that she is wearing the most enormously high-heeled shoes imaginable. Forget about the difficulties of finding nice clothes to wear, my problem was always finding comfortable shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment