Wednesday 1 September 2010

That small world thing again!

Scanning the papers online yesterday I came across a report on the August weather in El Faro de Vigo. As August was coming to a glorious close, the article told us that the whole month had been unusually hot and sunny. Well, we knew that already. Apparently in the previous 60 days there had only been 10 on which it had rained even a little bit. Temperatures had reached a high of 35° on one occasion and for most of the month had averaged 30+°.

Here in the Northwest of England by contrast in the 20 d
ays that we have been back here we have had 5 or 6 days of rain (but quite a lot of cloud and wind) and as for temperatures, all I can say is that we have had to put the heating on in the evening on more than one occasion.

Still, mustn’t grumble! We've had the occasional good sunset: not quite Vigo spectacular but still quite colourful. And today we have had excellent sunny weather which is just as well as we have been minding the grandchildren and they were happy to play in the garden. Thank heavens for small mercies.

In additi
on the bank holiday weekend managed to get by without too much cold and wet weather. I even managed to take my friend Heidy on a walk that we have been planning for a while and have not had the opportunity to do it. As my daughter and I had published photos of one of our local beauty spots on Facebook, my friend asked me if I would show it to her on my next visit home.

So, having had good weather forecast for Friday, Heidy and I planned a walk arou
nd Dovestone Reservoir and managed a rather windy but essentially sunny promenade.

Half way round we discovered that the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds had set up a stall, providing activities for children, watching y
oung kestrels learning to hover, spotting a green woodpecker and numerous other species. As we greeted the organisers, one of them suddenly called out, “It’s Heidy, isn’t it? Fancy seeing you here!” It turned out to be someone who works part time for the same college that Heidy works for and, just to make the coincidence complete, a Spanish teacher to boot.

As I have commented before, el mundo es un paƱuelo. There seems to be no way of avoiding the small world syndrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment