Wednesday 21 February 2024

Out and about in stormy, but not a named storm, weather! Kindness! Strange electioneering techniques. And sneakerheads!

I could hear the rain on the attic skylight windows again this morning and decided that today was not a day for cycling to the market. Phil had given my bike the once-over: air in the tyres, brakes working okay and so on. He’d got it out of its cubbyhole and left it easily accessible for me. He’s good that way. But all the same, today was not a day for cycling, altogether too wet and windy (in fact I’m surprised it’s not a named storm), although I did see a couple of hardy cyclists out and about in their hi-viz gear. But not me! 


I donned my wet weather hear and set off to walk up the hill towards Dobcross and down the other side towards Uppermill. There I spotted a bus just idling at the bus stop and so I decided hop on it and go to the Tesco store in Greenfield. It would have only been another 10 minutes walking in the rain but, hey!, there was bus just waiting for me. I picked up various items I can only get in the supermarket and made my way back to Uppermill. I debated walking over to the bus-stop on the off-chance that I might be on time for the next one. But time was tight and it would have been frustrating to see the bus sail past as I approached, when in the same amount of time I could have been halfway back to Uppermill.


So off I went, walking through the very waterlogged playing field, which is usually full of dog-walkers, but today was just a wet expanse with just one lady dog-walker and nobody throwing balls and have a doggy-owners conflab! The river was positively bouncing along, extremely full - there will be floods somewhere!


Back in Uppermill, the market was seriously depleted, with only the fish-man and the fruit’n’veg-man in operation. Jenny-Biscuit wasn’t there as she finds it very hard to set up her cheese and biscuit stall in the wind and wet. The slipper-man’s car was there and there was some evidence of his having begun to set his stall out but he had clearly decided against it. His stall has no awning and it was too wet and windy for his usual emergency plastic sheeting to be of any use. Who would want to buy soggy slippers? He has a sideline in second hand books, giving the proceeds to a charity, but today his books would have been papier maché in no time.


So I bought some fish and went to the bus shelter, prepared to wait maybe 15 minutes for the bus home with my bags of shopping. In the bus shelter I fell into conversation with the lady whose garden, half way up the hill to Dobcross, we frequently stop and admire. She asked where I was headed, told me her husband was about to collect her and offered me a lift home. There are good people around! 


On both sides of the Atlantic things are gearing up for elections. On both sides it’s hard to know who to vote for, or indeed if anyone is worth voting for. It seems that over on the other side of the pond Donald Trump is trying to encourage younger voters to support him. Here’s an example:-


“His next move? Debuting the $399 “Never-Surrender High-Top Sneaker”, branded as “the official” Trump shoe. The 2024 contender stopped at Sneaker Con Philadelphia, a traveling event for sneakerheads, to reveal the shoe on Saturday. Only 1,000 pairs were made, to make this a super limited-edition run; “at least 10” of these shoes were “randomly autographed” by Trump.”


Do people really pay €399 for trainers? Even gold-coloured Donald Trump sneakers? And are trainers and sneakers the same thing. Investigation tells me that some people think it’s a matter of nationality - in the UK we wear trainers! Others get technical and tell me that “generally speaking, sneakers are used as running shoes. This means that they are designed to provide forward movement.

On the other hand, trainers are used for versatile training such as plyometric training, gymming, weight lifting, and aerobics training. Structurally, trainers focus on providing lateral support.” Goodness! Who knew?


And what exactly is a “sneakerhead” and do they really have conventions about footwear in the USA? Here’s something I found:


“The term sneakerhead refers to an individual who has a strong passion for sneakers and collects them, often for the purpose of building a collection rather than wearing them. It is similar to the term “gearhead,” which is used to describe someone who has extensive knowledge about mechanical objects such as cars or computers. Being a sneakerhead can be an expensive hobby, as many shoes are priced at several hundred dollars. However, it can also be a profitable venture, as rare sneakers can be resold for thousands of dollars. In addition to collecting shoes, sneakerheads also possess extensive knowledge of sneaker history, which they acquire through research and purchasing. Here are some examples of how to use the term sneakerhead in conversation:

  1. “He’s such a sneakerhead. He spent $300 on the new Jordans.”
  2. “My friend is a total sneakerhead. He has an entire room dedicated to his shoe collection.”
  3. “I didn’t realize how large the sneakerhead community was until I attended a sneaker convention.”
  4. “She’s always on the lookout for limited edition sneakers. She’s a true sneakerhead.”
  5. “I never understood the appeal of collecting sneakers until I met a sneakerhead who explained the history and significance behind each pair.”

It’s important to note that the term sneakerhead does not have any sexual connotations. It simply refers to someone who has a deep passion for sneakers and collects them as a hobby. The term has gained popularity in recent years and is not a typo or error in typing.”


And yes, they do have conventions about sneakers, not that Mr Trump was welcomed with open arms at Sneaker Con Philadelphia: 


“Attendees loudly booed during his speech, and many spoke out against his appearance on social media. “Sneaker con should be ashamed for uploading this,” wrote one follower. “No sneaker there, just a con,” another chimed.”


But “Sneaker Con did not respond to a request for comment, though the event did release an online statement in response to the backlash. “Sneaker Con’s mission is to support and promote sneaker culture through our worldwide live events and digital platforms. We are thankful and appreciative of the sneaker community, and recognize individuals who generate awareness and authentic sneaker related engagement towards our community. #sneakercon,” it read.”


Americans may speak our language but they have some odd habits, it seems to me. 


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment