Sunday 25 February 2024

On being punctual - or not! Going to York! Bookshops! Food likes and dislikes.

Despite my comments the other day about my reluctance (serious unwillingness!) to get out of bed in the morning, yesterday I only snoozed my alarm once and then get up straight away and went for a run round the village. My daughter was coming to pick me up, supposedly before 10, and I wanted to be able to go for a run beforehand and still have time to shower and get organised. In the even she didn’t turn up until after 10.30. She blamed her partner for this. He had been told quite specifically, she said, that she wanted to be at my house for 10 and so he needed to return from his run in plenty of time. Of course he didn’t return in time because he didn’t set off in time. Consequently none of us set off in time. So it goes! 


We were going to drive to York to visit Granddaughter Number Two, take her a few items to her student residence, have a wander round York and then go and eat pizza in Pizza Express - the usual pattern for our visit to Granddaughter Number Two. Our wander round York was somewhat curtailed, not just because of our late departure from home and consequent later than intended arrival in York, but because the aforementioned Granddaughter Number Two and I disappeared into a second-hand bookshop at an early stage in our wanderings and spent quite some time there. We”re both rather addicted to books, although she gives in more readily to temptation than I do.


The bookshop was delightful, a tall narrow building, obviously an ordinary dwelling at some time in the past, with what would have been bedrooms now dedicated to different categories of books: art, architecture, music, local history, British history, European history, religion, witchcraft ( Yes! witchcraft!) to,mention but a few! All these sections were accessed via a very narrow set of staircases, not wide enough for two people to pass each other comfortably and sometimes encumbered with piles of books, but with a small landing as a passing place, with a book-lined room off to each side. You could have got lost in there for weeks! Groups of people did a shuffle-dance on each landing, many clutching bargains they had found.


In the meantime my daughter, Granddaughters Numbers One and Four and Grandson Number Two had been exploring a shop selling beautiful Oriental and Indian fabrics, yoga-related items and nicknacks such as lucky Chinese cats with arms that wave, one of which Granddaughter Number Four and Grandson Number Two both acquired. I am surprised that Granddaughter Number One had not bought a mass of craft materials. I would have happily gone exploring his shop but we were running out of time - a project for our next visit!


So we headed for Pizza Express, where Granddaughter Number Two had booked a table for us. She is becoming a very good social organiser. 

 

 

 

 

 

There was just time en route for a look at the swollen River Ouse and a brisk stroll through the park before we went to eat pizza, which was fine. 

 

 

Then I surprised everyone by turning down the offer to share tiramisu with my daughter. Hands were help up in horror - Grandma doesn’t like tiramisu! how can that be? But, like limoncello, it is one of the few Italian foods I turn my nose up at. Come to that, I am not a great fan of cannoli either. Some people assume that because I like Italy, and perhaps especially Sicily, I should love those typical products. No, not my thing at all! But then neither are churros even though I also love Spain! 


 

Anyway, here are some more photos of our visit to York.






 




This morning, by the way, I only snoozed my alarm once but the semi-dozed for a further 20 minutes before dragging myself out of bed! So it goes!


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment