Friday 27 January 2023

Nostalgic food. And generous Tories.

Recently Phil asked me why we don’t have potato cakes any more. That was a random bit of nostalgia as indeed we haven’t has them for decades. They used to be a go-to snack for children coming home from school hungry, a good way to tide them over until tea time. They were also good if you’d been on a long hike and needed something to fill you up because you were starving after all the exercise.


So why have we not had potato cakes for decades? The answer is quite simple: I haven’t spotted them on the shelves in the shops and supermarkets. Granted when both children were in secondary school and I was commuting across the whole of Greater Manchester to work, looking for potato cakes was not a priority when I did a rapid run round the supermarket on my home on a Friday afternoon/evening. But I have been scanning shelves again to no avail in recent weeks. 


And then, just as when you talk about something within hearing distance of your phone or computer adverts for that something pop up on all your social media, I spotted something in the window of the deli in Uppermill. There is a notice in the window about locally produced pies and pasties and … as I spotted on Wednesday … potato cakes, available in the deli. Why had I not seen it before? Goodness knows. Possibly because ai tend not to buy pies and pasties. Anyway I asked about potato cakes in the soon to close forever deli. (I’ve already had a little moan about its closing and the food loss to the community) Yes, I was informed, they do indeed have potato cakes but they are usually delivered after 10.30 in the morning. It was then 10.00. Did I want to hang around? Well, no, not really. I wanted to go home and shower and change and go out to celebrate my birthday by having lunch with a friend.


So today I went back and bought potato cakes. On my return from shopping we had a cup of tea and a potato cake. They were fine, although rather bigger and a bit stodgier than the ones we used to buy pre-packed, made by Warburtons, the bread people. Tesco, by the way, still don’t sell them. I checked this morning. I also checked online. I should be able to find them at Asda or Sainsbury’s. And I found a recipe to make my own potato cakes from leftover mashed potatoes! There you go!


Moving on to perhaps more serious matters, I see that the Nadhim Zahawi tax stuff rumbles on and I was reminded of something I read the other day.


“As a Patriotic Millionaire, part of a network from multiple industries and of differing backgrounds who want a more just, stable and inclusive economy and the end of extreme wealth, I see tax as investment in our public services and I would welcome being required to pay more tax as a person with the privilege of wealth.”


That’s what a certain Julia Davies wrote in this article


Of course, she could always give a lot more of her wealth away to help a whole range of organisations.


Then this morning I read that Rod Stewart, a self-confessed long time Rory supporter, wants to give money to pay for people to have much needed scans - he went for a scan in a private clinic which was pretty much empty apart from him. He thinks it’s time the Conservatives stood aside and gave Labour a chance to see if they can improve things. He  might discover it’s not really about taking turns, things don’t work that way. However, it’s good to see Tories and rich people thinking about others. 


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment