Thursday 5 January 2023

Goodbye Christmas. Hello Chinese New Year.,

 Well, that’s it. Christmas is officially over in my house. 


The Christmas cards have been gathered off the mantelpiece and the bookshelves, even the:ones that arrived from France only the other day.


The Christmas Nativity scene figures have been put back in their box. 


The decorations have been removed from the tree - angels/fairies in one bag and the various baubles in another. I had planned for two of my elves, the two youngest grandchildren, to help me dismantle it but the six year old elf was tired from a hard day at primary school and the three year old elf was having a melt down because he wanted only jelly for tea, without eating anything more substantial first! So after they had departed I attacked the tree myself.


The fairy lights are unplugged, coiled up and put back in their box.


All that really remains to be done do is to take the tree outside into a sheltered spot in the garden and hope it survives until next Christmas. 


I’ve vacuumed up most of the pine needles. There were fewer that might be expected because it is actually a living tree. However, there will still be a few in the corner when the tree is taken outside tomorrow.


There are actually a few presents sitting in the corner still. This is because my brother-in-law was feeling seriously unwell when he called round briefly before Christmas to leave presents for the small people and a few bottles of good wine for Phil and me. Because of his germs he did not come into the house. Because I was busy in the kitchen nobody told me he was at the door and the moment to exchange gifts passed us by. It may be significant that no-one else in the family thought to give him the gifts for him and his wife! 


And now I am busy making amigurumi crochet rabbits for Chinese New Year, which falls on January 22nd this year, rather earlier than usual. It has become a kind of tradition that I make small relevant animals for the little people in the family who have some Chinese heritage. Last year I made tigers and the previous year oxen and maybe rats the year before that. Next year will be dragons - goodness knows how I will manage that! 


In the midst of the chaos of the world, I am maintaining family traditions. 


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment