Wednesday 6 March 2024

Blue sky days. “Holy” relics. Achieving step goals.

 For the third, or maybe even the fourth, day running we’ve woken up to a brilliant blue sky and sunshine. The air is still cold but there is considerable warmth in the sunshine. I could get used to this!


So for then first time in several weeks I got on my bike and cycled to Uppermill this morning. The Donkey Line itself was clear and mostly dry but the approach across the privately owned bit of land was still very much of a quagmire. Spring must be almost here though; in fact I think officially it has arrived. There are crocuses in profusion everywhere. 


Because I cycled, and maybe because I didn’t cycle quite far and hard enough, my Fitbit refuses to acknowledge that I have had any exercise today. I’ll have to go out walking again later. I confess to being just a little obsessive about getting my 10,000 seps a day. To that end I often take a slightly longer route home from the village, for example, just to up the step-count a little. However, that does not seem to be a bad thing, according to this articleAchieving the goal of 10,000 steps a day should help me dodge heart problems or stroke. And one of the things  they advise is getting off the bus a stop earlier than usual, just to increase your step-count.


I see that the sale of “holy” relics continues. This time it’s the booth in a New Jersey diner where Tony Soprano and family sat in the very last episode of The Sopranos, leaving us all uncertain as to whether mafia boss Tony Soprano had been shot or not. The owner of the diner expected to get maybe $10,000 for it, a sum that would have allowed him to refurbish his premises. In the event, he received $82,600. The death of the actor James Gandolfini must have added to its value as a collectors item. 


I wonder where you keep an item like a yellow diner table and red be bench seats. After all, when yo’ve paid $82,600 for the furniture you couldn’t just make a breakfast barb of it and use it on an everyday basis! And yet surely you would want to be able to admire it often and maybe sit there and make believe you were talking to Tony Soprano. 


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment