Saturday 13 January 2024

A bit of brightness. Children here and there.

Walking from Victoria Station to the centre of Manchester yesterday I saw that the trees were festooned with red lanterns. Of course, Chinese New Year is approaching. I checked just now: it’s February 10th this year. We move into the Year of the Dragon. So the Christmas lights have come down and the Chinese lanterns have gone up, brightening the bare trees and cheering up the grey January days. 


This has given me another task. For the last few years I have crocheted Chinese New Year animals for my two half-Chinese grandchildren. I need to get a move on. So I put out an appeal to Granddaughter Number One who always seems to know where to find patterns for such things. She came good. The small dragon in the pattern she found for me has no wings but I think I can improvise something. After all, even a small dragon needs wings. Otherwise what is he? And I have rummaged in my collection of odds and ends of yarn and I think I have found enough in the right colours. All I need to now is get started!


My grandchildren are fortunate. They’re safe and warm and quite often indulged. Here are two contrasting images of children in Gaza.




 I am quite amazed that the children in the first photo can still manage to laugh and smile. It must be a credit to the parents who love them. The second photo shows Palestinians reaching out to receive food aid, not just children, people of all ages, but it is the small girl’s face that stands out for me. 


Here’s a link to Ziad’s latest Gaza Diary entry. That’s where I found the photos.


In this diary entry he describes a small girl who has not been outside to play for three months. Her only “friend” is a lady who waves to her and smiles as she hangs her washing out to dry.


This entry ends like this:


“I miss a life where mothers can walk in the streets and let their children run in front of them, enjoying the fresh air and, later, enjoy delicious foods and sweets. I miss a life where children have other children around, to play with, become friends, and start creating beautiful memories for their future.

That life seems very distant and unrealistic. A fairytale I no longer think can exist.”


Meanwhile my German friend is despairing of her country, which has spoken out in defence of Israel and its actions against Palestine. 


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment