Friday 8 September 2023

Dirty rain. Confusing signs. Going adventuring. Shocking accents. Linguistic problems.

Overnight Wednesday to Thursday it rained. I could hear it on the skylight windows. When I got up on Thursday morning the skylight windows were filthy. Later in the day my daughter told me she had had to clean the windscreen of her car, and the other windows for that matter, before she could set off for work. Yesterday and today I have seen a large number of splodgily dirty cars. It seems that sand and dust has been blown all the way from the Sahara and then been deposited over quite a lot of the UK in the overnight rain-showers. I must say there seems to be more dust than sand! 


We’ve had unexplained temporary traffic lights, four-way traffic lights, at our crossroads, allowing single lane traffic through on each of the roads in turn. There has been no sign of any work going on. There are four bus stops at the crossroads - that’s DELPH CROSSROADS - one on each road. Each one has a notice which reads:


 BUS STOP CLOSED


please use

  stops at


DELPH CROSSROADS


There seems to be something wrong with those notices. To catch a bus it has been necessary to walk into the village centre, not a huge distance to walk but just a little inconvenient if you are on the last minute for a bus. 


Because of the traffic lights, our daughter, who usually collects Phil and gives him a lift to chess club on Thursdays, decided to come straight to our house after collecting her small daughter from school and her small son from pre-school (two different establishments), especially as the pre-school is not too far away from our house. She wouldn’t need to drive home and back again, delayed each time by traffic lights there and at other places en route. The children could have tea here. At the last minute she decided to pick up her daughter, drive to our house and then she and I and said daughter could walk along the forest path to pick up the small boy, making an adventure of the whole thing. Intrepid explorers walked through the trees, picking wild blackberries en route! All good fun!


Locally born actress Sarah Lancashire has won a National Television Award for her performance in a series called “Happy Valley”, which I haven’t seen although quite a lot of people have recommended it to me. 


In various reports of the awards that I have read I discovered that some viewers were shocked when she made her acceptance speech. It turns out that despite being born in Oldham she doesn’t have a North of England accent. In fact, she’s “quite posh, Southern-sounding!”. It seems to me some people don’t understand what acting is all about. Had she had an Oldham accent it might not have worked anyway because I understand that “Happy Valley” is set in Yorkshire, where the accent is different again! Oops! I was more shocked by the people who declared themselves “shook” to discover her real accent - not “shaken” but “shook”. Am I really such a snob that I am quite offended by the fact that some people can’t speak their own language properly? Oh dear!


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment