Thursday 3 August 2023

Autumn in August? Reminiscing about concerts. Who should wear national dress?

Today I ran in the sunshine for the first time in a while. And I have once again hung washing out in the garden. it’s still a long way from being summer weather though. And today I saw my first proper clump of ripe blackberries this year. I’ve seen the odd single ripe berry as I’ve been out and about but this is the first substantial proof that autumn seems to have decided to start very early this year.



The friend who is itching to go for a canal walk with me has been scanning weather forecasts for the weeks ahead and thinks that we might be able to manage it towards the end of next week. Of course, between now and then all the forecasts could change drastically. We shall see!


Facebook reminds me that 14 years ago I was looking forward to seeing Bruce Springsteen in Santiago de Compostela. It was rather a .cool August there as well, if I remember rightly, certainly in the late evening. A friend and I occasionally reminisce about eating egg and chips (and chorizo for those who like the stuff, which I don’t!) at three in the morning in a small cafe close to our hotel in the centre of the city. Those were the days!


It’s a while since I went to a concert like that. Incidentally, here’s a link to an article about someone who decided on retirement to start going to concerts more frequently. In his seventies he now goes to one every night!  I must point this out to my brother-in-law (only in his sixties and therefore a mere stripling!) who has spent the last I don’t know how long following the group Marillion from gig to gig around the world!


I’ve been getting adverts for kilts, the ideal garment for gentlemen to wear to weddings it seems, and I’ve no idea why I am being targeted. Was the phone listening to our conversation on Sunday about how nice Granddaughter Number Four looked in her tartan? Maybe so. I’m not planning to go to a wedding in the near future and I don’t quite see why anyone who has no connection with Scotland would choose to dress in that way to get married in England.


Meanwhile, Prince William, who has a number of Scottish titles (how many titles can one man hold and not be weighed down by them?), is being criticised for NOT wearing kilts.


“So what has Prince William got against kilts?” asks a journalist.


“It’s something royal observers are asking of a man who has inherited the Scottish titles of the Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles and Prince & Great Steward of Scotland. Not to mention he’s the heir to the throne of Scotland.

Yet he has not been seen in public in Scotland in traditional Highland attire since he was a child, a fact that has not gone unnoticed by his father’s Scottish tailor John Sugden, owner of Campbell’s of Beauly and holder of a royal warrant.”


Apparently his grandmother frequently wore tartan when she visited her Scottish realm. Did she, however, wear a tall black hat with a bit of lace when she visited Wales? I wonder. Should Kate wear one when she goes there? She is, after all, the Princess of Wales! 


And does any of it really matter?


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment