Wednesday 23 November 2022

A day of showers and sunshine! Confusing times!

 It’s been a very varied day so far. I woke up to the sound of heavy rain and decided that today was not a good Wednesday for cycling. So I found my waterproof trousers and raincoat and set off to walk up the hill to Dobcross and down into Uppermill. In the centre of Dobcross I came across the lady whose garden I so often admire - sunflowers in August, roses almost all year round and at present a fine display of fuchsia. She was waiting for a bus, specifically the one that does a tour of Diggle and then on into Uppermill before going eventually to Ashton. Last week, she told me, that bus did not turn up for her. Around here the buses run every half hour so if one fails to turn up it is a real inconvenience. 


One of the market stall holders told me he had already had to change his clothes completely as the rain has been so heavy earlier in the morning. Jenny, the cheese and biscuits lady, was not present, which was what I had expected. She finds it hard to set up her stall in the wind and wet. So, no gingerbread dinosaurs today!


Having bought fish, fruit, veg and so on, I managed to catch the 10 o’clock bus for home. Very efficient! The time saved was then spent on a long phone call from an old friend, organising our Christmas activities and reminiscing about this and that. Consequently Phil and I eventually had a late breakfast, if such it can be called, after 11 o’clock. 


As we had our toast and coffee the rain stopped, the sky cleared and the sun came out. And so we decided to go out for a walk before tackling any other jobs, hoping to benefit from the sunshine. Of course, we had barely set off when the cloud moved back in and the sun disappeared. So it goes! And, naturally, not long after we arrived back home the sun reappeared. I suspect we’ll have more rain before the day is over though. 


I’m mostly ignoring the football stuff that’s going on at the moment. A friend of mine had promised herself that she would boycott the whole world cup business but she has watched every televised match so far. She’s got quite excited, both sports-wise and politics-wise. And I never knew she was a football fan. 


I am rather surprised at the number of people who have flown out there to watch football. Some folk still have money to spend then, which is surprising when you take into account those who need to work two jobs to get by, even people earning £40,000+, like one of those interviewed for this article


We live in interesting times. 


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment