Thursday 13 July 2017

Delays, cancellations and catch-up!

I failed to post yesterday. I had got back later than expected from London on Tuesday evening. When I reached London's Euston station around lunchtime on Tuesday the place was crowded, perhaps even more so than usual. Then I noticed that the train to Manchester before mine was cancelled. Virgin trains run on that route every twenty minutes and my train said it was on time. Until suddenly it wasn't; it too was cancelled. Get on the next one, said the electrnic noticeboard. And then the next one was cancelled and the one after that!

It transpired that there had been an "incident" at Milton Keynes, causing chaos to all train journeys passing through the station. This later was updated to a "fatal incident", leaving us all to speculate uselessly on what might have happened.

Eventually some smeblance of normality resumed and we all caught a later train. As I was travelling light, only a small backpack, I cleverly dodged all the stressed people running with huge suitcase towd behund them and ducked into the first class carriage. Once there, I walked calmly through to the carriages where the common people get to sit and found myself a seat, a table seat at that. All seat reservations were cancelled because of the delay so there was no problem. And when the ticket inspector came round he assured us that those of us who had been delayed for more that 30 minutes woud receive an automatic refund. Ever cloud has a silver linng and so on.

Yesterday I decided to get up in time for a run, the only exercise I had really had over the splendid weekend having been dancing barefoot in Hyde Park at te Tom Petty concert.

That was when the day went haywire. My daughter contacted me as I jogged along the  ridle path, to say her youngest had been sick at nursery and had to come home. Could I babysit? Oh and could I also pick up medication for the middle daughter who was home in bed with tonsillitis? Well, of course. That is what you do.

And so yesterday and today became grandmother days. No real reflections on anything. Which is why today's post, finally, is largely a collection of photos of fun and ganes at Hyde Park in the sunshine on Sunday.











No comments:

Post a Comment