Wednesday 29 August 2012

See you soon!

It’s good bye to Galicia for a while.  Tomorrow we fly back to the UK.

Yesterday evening we took the train to Pontevedra for a last meal out with our friend Colin, his daughter and the daughter’s friend at the amazing Pitillo restaurant. Sitting outside, drinking Galician white wine and eating excellent seafood. What could be better? 

Five of us ate and drank heartily for just over 50€. Including a tip, that was about 11€ per person. As we made our way homewards – on the last train back from Ponters, the train that we very nearly missed – we commented to each other that we hoped no-one ever told the owners of the Pitillo how unbelievably reasonable, not say low, their prices are. It was a totally selfish reflection but also totally understandable, I feel! 

So that was the last trip to Ponters for this visit. I’ve also done my last visit to the library, posting my books through the letterbox designed precisely for that purchase. When the library is closed, you can still return books. A perfectly good arrangement for an establishment that has restricted opening in summer. 

I’ve done my penultimate run round the back streets behind Calle Aragón. All being well, I’ll run it for the last time tomorrow morning. I’ve also paid my penultimate visit to the bread shop. We will miss that good fresh bread! 

I've spotted my last bit of odd English: an "outlet"  near our flat advertises itslef as an "oule". The Ts have disappeared!!!

And now I’ve made my last walk up to the chess club to use their wifi as our mobile internet dongle ran out for the last time this morning and it’s not worth recharging it just for today and tomorrow. 

On my way here, I took my last photo of interesting bits of Vigo for a while.

And so it’s goodbye to Galicia but of course, it’s not “adiós”, just “hasta la vista” as we plan to back in late October. And the chess club has already registered Phil to play for their team in the next season. So we’ll have to be here quite a lot. 


 In the meantime, we have Sicily to look forward to in a couple of weeks’ time. The intrepid explorers go on and on.

3 comments: