Wednesday 29 February 2012

On the road.

My daughter was driving me home from somewhere – probably some childcare duty or other – the other day when she noticed a Fiat 500 ahead of us. “That’s the car Tasmin wants to be driving in three years time”, she commented. I replied that I hoped she had already started some kind of investment plan to pay for the insurance. That put a stop to the conversation for a while.

Tasmin is the eldest grandchild, now 14. The conversation suggested that it was a given that she would learn to drive as soon as she hits 17; after all, that is the norm these days. Well, it was pretty much the norm when my daughter was 17 but it didn’t happen in her case. She waited a good few years more and her older brother only passed his test after his thirtieth birthday. I recognise, however, that they were probably the exception to the accepted rule.

Then I read an article saying that many university students are now turning to the bus and other forms of public transport. The cost of buying, running, maintaining and above all insuring a car is just getting to be too much for them. So they are buying a monthly saver for the bus, using student rail cards and, if they have a driving license, hoping that mum and dad will put them as named drivers on their insurance for holiday times. And even that is an expensive business for the parents.

Life was in many ways a whole lot easier when we were students. There was no pressure to own a car. Everyone expected to go around on the bus and train. Even accommodation was more reasonable. Sorting out some papers in the attic last week, I came across an old letter from way back when we were sorting out somewhere to live as married students in the final year of our university course. The gist of the letter was that my Phil had located an attic flat not far from the university; it had plenty of cat-swinging room and cost ... wait for it ... £11 a month. Those were the days!

Back in the present day, I decided it’s just as well that students are realising the benefits of public transport over cars. Bill Ford, great grandson of Henry Ford has been talking about the problems of too many cars. He maintains that by 2050 there could be four billion cars on the road (one billion at the moment apparently) and this could lead to a world gridlock. I don’t think he really wants people to stop buying cars though. What he wants is for car manufacturers to get together with telecommunications people and develop cars that can talk to each other.

Now I’m imagining a big car sending out a message to other, smaller vehicles: “I’m on my way, clear the road”. My bus, which regularly has problems turning a very tight corner because of oncoming traffic, could send an advance warning to all vehicles to let him through. Maybe even cyclists and motorcyclists could send out regular signals: “Don’t forget that we are here!! Please don’t open your car door as we go past!!! Look out for us!””

Hmmm!! I wonder!!! In the meantime, I shall remain carless and try to stave off worldwide gridlock a little longer!

1 comment:

  1. There's a lot of student cars here in Headingley. New ones even. Can't understand how they can be afforded. Other than by parental largesse.

    ReplyDelete